Updated: Jul 15, 2019
The Super Bowl is just around the corner, and people all over are gearing up for the big get-together with friends and family. Super Sunday means awesome food and drinks, hilarious commercials, and (hopefully) a great game! As you might imagine, catfish appetizers are a Super Bowl tradition around these parts. They are easy to prepare and always impress our crowd of fans.
In the spirit of big game day food, here are recipes that are sure to score big at your Super Bowl party. The recipes are scalable to your party size, so make as much or little as you need for your crowd. Of course you will want to make extra!
Whether you are excited about the food, the big game, the half-time time show, or the commercials, these snacks will make your Super Bowl party extra special!
Nonstick cooking spray.
5 lb. Simmons Farm-Raised Catfish Strips.
1 cup extra virgin olive oil.
2 tablespoons or to taste Tony’s Chachere’s Creole Seasoning.
1. Marinate catfish strips in olive oil and creole seasoning for 1 hour or up to overnight.
2. Heat grill or grill pan to medium high heat and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Grill strips for 3-5 minutes then turn and cook about 5 more minutes.
4. Serve warm or at room temperature with Comeback Sauce, ketchup, or sauce of your choice. Strips can be kept in airtight container in refrigerator for up to one week. Enjoy!
CATFISH SLIDERS WITH WASABI MAYONNAISE
4-6 Simmons Farm-Raised Catfish Fillets or Fillet Bites.
¼ cup all-purpose flour.
¾ cup yellow cornmeal.
2 teaspoons salt.
1-1½ cups vegetable oil.
Slider rolls, buttered.
Green leaf lettuce, torn.
Purple onion, sliced.
Roma tomatoes, sliced.
1 cup mayonnaise.
¼ cup prepared wasabi.
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger.
2 tablespoons soy sauce.
1 teaspoon sugar.
1 pinch of salt (optional).
1. Cut catfish fillets to approximate size of slider roll. Use smaller pieces to fry and enjoy while you are cooking.
2. Combine flour, cornmeal and salt. Coat catfish with mixture.
3. Add vegetable oil to medium-sized heavy skillet. Heat to 350˚F. Fry fillets for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown. Remove catfish from oil and drain on paper towels.
4. Brown sliced and lightly buttered slider rolls in skillet. Add wasabi mayo to top and bottom of roll. Assemble with the lettuce, onion, tomatoes and avocado. Garnish with a decorative toothpick.
5. To make sauce, combine all ingredients thoroughly. Taste and adjust seasonings. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
6. Munch down!